Post 52 Projects & Activities
Community Service Projects
- Honor Guard: The Post has an Honor Guard and a Color Guard that will participate in funeral services for any Veteran. This includes pallbearers, Flag folding and presentation, as well as a rifle salute. The groups also participate in ceremonial occasions and parades (Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Veterans' Day, etc.).
- Service Officer: The Post provides a Service Officer who will help any Veteran interface with the VA, and assists with other service-related problems.
- Veterans: The Post provides temporary financial assistance to destitute veterans; does volunteer work in hospitals and nursing homes. Each December, the Post (in conjunction with the Auxiliary) provides sweat suits or other Christmas gifts for every veteran in all area nursing homes.
- DAV Van: Post 52, along with other veterans' organizations, supports the Disabled American Veterans van, which is used daily to transport veterans to the VA Hospital in Little Rock.
- Boys' State: Post 52 is a sponsor for Boys' State and Boys' Nation. This program offers high school junior boys the opportunity to experience first-hand the workings of our Government.
- Shoe Fund: Post 52 administers a fund to buy shoes and socks for needy school children in Baxter County. School counselors and teachers make the recommendations as to which children receive the shoes. This is believed to be the only program of its kind in The American Legion.
- Baseball: The Post sanctions American Legion Baseball as well as being a contributor. One of our two teams, sponsored by local sporting goods shop "The Lockeroom," was State Champion in 1998. (Schedules will be posted when they become available.)
- Drugs: Post 52 co-sponsors "Just Say No to Drugs" in cooperation with the Mountain Home Police Department.
- DARE: The Post makes substantial contributions to the local Drug Abuse Resistance Education program.
- Pot Luck Dinner: Post 52 hosts a pot luck dinner, for members of the Legion and the Auxiliary, on the first Monday of each month at 5:30 p.m. (except for certain holidays). Everyone brings their table service and a dish to pass.
- Meeting: The Legion and the Auxiliary meetings are held on the first Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. following the pot luck dinner.
- Coffee: Every Saturday, we have coffee and donuts for members and guests from 9 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. Visitors are always welcome!
- Bingo: Post 52 offers Bingo on Tuesdays at 1:00 p.m. (doors open at 11:00 am) and Fridays at 5:30 p.m. (doors open at 3:30 p.m.).
The entire building is smoke-free, in compliance with the Clean Air Act of 2006. The Auxiliary Kitchen offers a wide variety of lunch items (sandwiches, desserts, coffee, iced tea and lemonade) at reasonable prices. The public is invited.
- The Bugle: The Bugle is Post 52's bimonthly newsletter, and is available by mail for members who do not have e-mail, or online.
- Hall Rental: The American Legion building is available for rent, at reasonable rates, to accommodate all types of events -- from weddings and club meetings, to banquets and garage sales. Call the Post at (870) 424-6277 to schedule your event today!
... and many other activities!
The American Legion at Work!