*People
*Places
*News and Events
*Photo Gallery
*Research Links
*Town Hall Slide Show
*HOME

News

The Historical Commission Office will be open from 9:00AM to 10:30AM the second Saturday of the month to the general public. Please look for the roadway banner display to indicate when it is open.

October 2017
SMTWTFS
1234567
891011121314
15 161718192021
22232425262728
293031

Click Here for Full Calendar

Members List:

Chairman:
Anita Fenton
Secretary:
Larry Spongberg
Treasurer:
Donna MacLean
Webmaster:
Anita Fenton
Members:
Donmarie Desrosiers
Barbara Beall
Member:
Pamela Hair
Members:
Karl Ottmar

Other Paxton Links

PAXTON TOWN OFFICIALS

MASS.GOV - PAXTON

RICHARDS MEMORIAL LIBRARY

PAXTON CENSUS FIGURES

US GEOLOGICAL SURVEY MAPS

ST COLUMBA PARISH

PAXTON SUMMARY PROFILE

WACHUSETT REGIONAL SCHOOL DISTRICT

ANNA MARIA COLLEGE

MA DOE PROFILE

PAXTON CENTER CEMETERY

PAXTON HISTORY

img
Places
img
Click here to edit your pageClick here to go to your office

Carruth Road
Carruth Road has been a mentioned topic this past summer and I will wager has caused the following question, "Where is it?" The present discontinued Carruth Road is located in what was Rutland prior to the formation of Paxton and runs off Brigham Road Northwest to route 122. It appears it originally started from Black Hill Road. The road served as a shortcut for people in the souther part of Rutland to travel to the sawmill or gristmill. It was also a shortcut to Barre.

Originally a portion of the road was first laid out and approved at a Rutland town meeting in 1746. The Paxton portion of the road was discontinued by a town meeting vote of November 1832. This caused quite a stir for a few years by opposing individuals.

The road today can be defined bounded both sides with beautiful stone walls and a two-rod width. Approximately one mile in is the foundation for Ephraim Carruth's home. The home was destroyed by fire in 1828. The state, over the years, has added to Moore State Park thus preserving the Carruth Road.

Carruth Rd. was the site of the murder of Daniel Campbell by Ed Fitzpatrick in 1744. It was the first murder of a whiteman by a white man, and the first white man hung for murder in Worcester County.

Johah Howe, who lived on Davis Hill, had a pasture on Carruth Rd. where he kept his flock of sheep during the summer. Each year, when bringing in the sheep, he always found one to be missing. One particular year he encountered Mr. Carruth and told him he had a new name for his pasture and he now calls it PILFERSHIRE. From that day forward no lambs were missing and the name stayed indentifying the pasture.

Ephraim Carruth came to Paxton from Marlborough about 1795 and returned to Marlborough about 1821. He and his wife Sally had thirteen children, all born in Paxton. His wife and four children died in Paxton are believed buried in an unmarked plot in Center Cemetery. Ephraim was credited with surveying for the 1795 Paxton Map and other individual properties in town. It appears the Carruth home was the last remaining home, for a few years on Carruth Rd and thus how the road received its name.
by Ed Duane October 2002

Moore State Park
Read an article posted at Rosebay.org by Lois Breault and Denis Melican of Paxton.


 
1259 Visitors  People | Places | News and Events | Photo Gallery | Research Links | Town Hall Slide Show
HOME | WRITE US

TOP