1st Vice President:
Connie Jo Felton
Marion ToonLinks Section
Contests for Youth
The GFWC Fairmont Woman’s club offers several contests for youth in the area. To find the rules for each contest use “Find” function on your computer to find the contest you are interested in from the list below. Most Nebraska clubs offer this same contest so if you don’t live in the Fairmont area contact us or the Nebraska Federation of Women Clubs for a club near you.
Also check out the page on this website on opportunities for youth.
Youth Art Contest (K-12)
Youth Photography Contest (9-12)
Youth Music Contest (9-12)
Youth Poetry and Short Story Contest (K-12)
Children’s Art Contest (K-4)
Young Women’s Quiz Bowl (Middle School) Young Women’s Quiz Bowl (High School)
YOUTH ART CONTEST
Any student from Fillmore Central School or any homeschooled student in the Fillmore County School district is eligible to enter the Fairmont Woman’s Club youth contest.
The GFWC Fairmont Art Contest will be held in January 2014.
1st, 2nd and 3rd Places will be awarded in each grade K-8.
1st, 2nd, 3rd Places will be awarded in each category in grades 9-12.
Certificates will be awarded.
1st place winners from each grade K-8 will go to District and winners there will go to the State Contest.
1st Place winners in each category grades 9-12 will go to District and winners there will go to the State Contest.
1. Original work only.
2. Maximum size 24 inches x 36 inches.
3. Name and grade on the back of art work.
4. Grades K-8 any media
5. Grades *9-12
oil/acrylic painting, watercolor painting, portrait, pen and ink drawing, charcoal drawing, Posters, pastel drawing, pencil drawing (black or colored, chalk drawing, sculpture (metal or wire, hand thrown pottery, clay, computer generated art, prints, collage, ceramics, abstract, other
Illustration original and copy work poems
HIGH SCHOOL PHOTOGRAPHY CONTEST
The GFWC Fairmont Photography Contest will be held in January 2014.
2 classes A. Color B. Black and White
1. Living Things – adults, animals, children, domestic birds, fish, flowers, insects, reptiles, wildlife
2. Scenes – city, landscapes, rural, skies, sunrise, sunset, waterscapes, weather
3. Still Life – abstract (any assemblage of objects, either in an arrangement or natural settings), buildings, monuments
1. Any student, grades 9-12, from Fillmore Central School or any homeschooled student in the Fillmore County School district is eligible to enter the Fairmont Woman’s Club youth contest.
2. Each photo must have the following information on the back: area name, category name; photographer's name, address & phone number; grade: name & state of sponsoring club; brief caption giving location and situation of the photo; photo title.
3. Photos must be taken during the contest year (January 1 - December 31 annually.
YOUTH POETRY & SHORT STORY CONTEST
1. Any student from Fillmore Central School or any homeschooled student in the Fillmore County School district is eligible to enter the Fairmont Woman’s Club youth contest.
2. Youth from grades K-12 may enter one poem and/or one short story.
3. Manuscripts entered may not have been published prior to the competition and must be original work of the author. Authors must be of amateur status.
1. Short stories limited to 2,000 words.
2. Poems can be any style. Minimum length is eight lines. The maximum length is 30 lines.
3. Name and grade of author must be on the poem or short story.
4. Entries are preferred to be written on word processors or typewriters. Hand written work will be accepted.
5. Winners that go to the state contest will need to fill out a consent form for their work to be published.
DEADLINE: December 20, 2013
Short Story and Poetry Contest entries will need to be to Nancy Galaway on or before December 20, 2011. You can drop then at any Fillmore Central School office or the Fairmont Public Library. You can also mail them to Nancy Galaway, PO Box 413, Fairmont, NE 68354 or e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This contest is held every December.
Certificates for first, second, and third place winners on local level will be awarded in each grade, K-12.
From the first place winners, one poem and one short story will be picked from each of the following categories to be entered in the Nebraska Federated Woman's club Poetry and short story contest.
Categories One - Grades K, 1, and 2
Categories Two - Grades 3, 4, and 5
Categories Three - Grades 6, 7, and 8
Categories Four - Grades 9, 10, 11, and 12
Winners on the state level will be published in the annual NFWC Women’s Club Anthology. First place winner will go on to the national contest.
YOUTH MUSIC CONTEST
The music contest will be held in Seward, Nebraska in March 2014.
There are three categories: 1. Vocal 2. Piano 3. Instrumental
Any student, grades 9-12, from Fillmore Central School or any homeschooled student in the Fillmore County School district is eligible to enter the Fairmont Woman’s Club youth contest.
Application forms need to be sent in by the first of March.
First Place winner in each category - $50, Second and third – ribbon
Contact Nancy Galaway: email@example.com
Children’s Art Contest
Children’s Art contest for Nebraska Youth in Grades Kindergarten thru Fourth Grade. The theme this year is the song “Beautiful Nebraska.” The children are to read the song and depict what they think the song means to them. These will be judged and there will be honors given near Statehood Day. The deadline for these entries is FEBRUARY 15, 2014.
Young Woman’s Quiz Bowl - Middle School
Nebraska AMI 2nd Annual
Jr. High/Middle School Quiz Bowl Tuesday, November 12,2013
Seward Civic Center • 616 Bradford Ave, Seward, NE 68434 8:30 am - Register at Clvle Center Auditorium
9:00 am - Quiz Bowl until complete
• Three Tourneys in One: (if numbers allow)
5th-8th Big School - 5th-8th Small School 9th Grade Big & Small School Combined
• Each team has four contests - at minimum - "Round Robin" tourney in the morning, "Single Elimination" in the afternoon
• Open to all Junior High & Middle Schools 9th grade can be high school, in Nebraska- Must Pre-Register
• Fee - $50 per Team
• Four teams (Maximum. two 5th-8th Grade teams & two 9th Grade teams) per school
• Teams will be drawn in advance
• Trophies to top two teams in each catagory
• Questions are curriculum based on math, science, literature, sports, social studies, etc.
• Deadline to Enter: November 1,2013 (or when at capacity)
1059 Plainview Ave., Seward, NE 68434
dk05811 @windstream.net I
Young Women’s Quiz Bowl (High School)
GFWC Nebraska Federation of Woman's Club 11th Annual
Young Woman's Quiz Bowl Wednesday, October 16, 2013 Seward Civic Center
616 Bradford Ave, Seward, NE 68434 .,.
8:30 am ~ Register at Civic Center Auditorium 9:00 am - Quiz Bowl until complete ~~
• Two Tourneys: Big School - Small School
• Each team has four contests - at. minimum - Round Robin tourney in the morning, Single Elimination in the afternoon
• Open to all High Schools in Nebraska - Must Pre-Register ~~i:\
• Must be female and enrolled high school, Grades 9-12
• Fee- $50 per Team
• Two Teams (Max.) per Secondary School
... Teams will be drawn in advance
• Questions are curriculum based on math, science, literature,
sports, social studies, etc.
• Deadline to Enter: October 1,2013 (or when at capacity)
• Juice, Coffee and Rolls hosted by Seward County Visitors Committee
Chair: NFWC, Jean Kolterman You will be notifisd!
1059 Plainview Ave. Watch/or mailing
Seward, NE 68434 to confirm!
Contests for Youth |
Contests for Members |
Opportunities for Youth | Cllub History | In The News | HOME | WRITE US