Marian UldrichLinks Section
Contests for Members
The GFWC Fairmont Woman’s club offers several contests for its members. To find the rules for each contest use “Find” function on your computer to find the contest you are interested in from the list below. Most Nebraska clubs offer this same contest so if you don’t live in the Fairmont area contact us or the Nebraska Federation of Women Clubs for a club near you.
Also check out the opportunity to attend a writing workshop.
Adult Art Contest Writing Workshop
Adult Photography Contest
Adult Poetry and Short Story Contest
Adult Craft Contest
All adult contest offered by the GFWC Fairmont Woman’s Club are offered for their members and you must be a member to enter. Come join us and have some fun. The Art, Photography and Craft Contest will be judged at our February 2013 meeting. The writing entries need to be to the club chairman by January 10, 2013.
There are three Photography Contests
"The World in Pictures" with three categories-Living Things, Scenes, Still Life, "GFWC Volunteers in Action”, "A Year in Pictures" (Calendar Contest
Adult Art and Photography will be judged at the local level at the club’s February 2012 meeting.
Local Photography Contest: The pictures can be any size and will need to be labeled with members name and name of category. A picture can be entered in the different contest but we need to enter separate pictures, one for each contest. If the picture wins at local level the following rules will apply for district, state and national contest.
GENERAL RULES FOR ALL FOUR CONTESTS (District, State, National Levels:
1. Photographers must be amateur photographers and dues paying members of active GFWC clubs.
3. The back of each photo must have an arrow drawn indicating the top. Each photo must have the following information on the back: GFWC category name; photographer's name, address & phone number; name & state of sponsoring club; brief caption giving location and situation of the photo; photo title.
4. Photos must be taken during the contest year (January 1 - December 31 annually.
5. Photos may be taken using film or digital cameras.
6. The same image may be submitted to all four photo contests, but separate photos must be entered.
1. THE WORLD IN PICTURES –
2 classes A. Color B. Black and White
1. Living Things – adults, animals, children, domestic birds, fish, flowers, insects, reptiles, wildlife
2. Scenes – city, landscapes, rural, skies, sunrise, sunset, waterscapes, weather
3. Still Life – abstract (any assemblage of objects, either in an arrangement or natural settings), buildings, monuments
2. GFWC VOLUNTEERS IN ACTION - Entries can be black and white or color photos.
Photos should "describe" a club project - club members reading to children for a Read across America project Judges will look at overall creativity of subject and quality of photographs.
3. A YEAR IN PICTURES (CALENDAR CONTEST - Entries must be color prints & must be horizontal.
All entries (flowers, fauna, vistas, etc. will be considered. Judges will look for photos particularly suitable for calendars, such as photos relevant to particular months or seasons. Each club may select a picture to be sent directly to GFWC.
1. No copies.
2. Work done within last year
3. Work ready for display.
4. Label -back upper right corner - name, address, phone number, category, and sponsoring club.
5. Subject matter is choice of the artist
Categories: Watercolor, Oil/Acrylic, Drawings (pen/ink or pencil, Pottery/Sculpture
NEW CATEGORY: ILLUSTRATION
Illustration Original Poem: Poem and illustration to be displayed on front of entry together. Poem on left side and illustration on the right side. The overall maximum size after mounting on poster board should not exceed 18x24 inches. Illustration Copy work Poem: Entrant illustrates favorite poet's poem. Same rules as illustration original poem.
First place winners in each category will receive ribbons at the district level. First place winners will be eligible for the state competition.
POETRY & SHORT STORY CONTEST
Poetry and short story need to be to the chairman by January 10, 2012 for judging. One first place in poetry and one first place in short story will be entered in the state contest.
1. Authors must be amateurs; earning from writing must not exceed $500 annually. Manuscripts entered may not have been published prior to the competition and must be original works of the author.
2. Short stories limited to 2000 words.
3. Poetry can be any style, with a minimum length of eight lines and maximum of 45-50 lines.
4. Entries must be written on word processors or typewriters, double-spaced with minimum margins of 1", one side only, and on 8.5"X11 inch paper.
5. Entries must be written during the contest year.
6. Entries MUST have the following in the top right hand corner of EACH page:
Author's name, address, telephone number, name of local club/state and title of manuscript.
7. Winners that go to the state contest will need to fill out a consent form for their work to be published.
1. Only NFWC members are eligible to enter, except for the handicapped-nursing home category.
2. All work must have been made by the contestant within the past two (2) years. Work that has been previously judged a winner in a club or district contest in a past year may not be re-entered.
3. All entries must be labeled with the name of the entrant, name of the sponsoring club, category, and division.
1. Afghan A. crocheted in one piece B. knitted in one piece C. crocheted/knitted/embroidery D. crocheted-pieced together E. knitted-pieced F. other
2. Adult apparel & accessories A. knitted B. macramé C. appliqué D. machine art E. quilted F. needle punch
G. smocking H. liquid embroidery I. chicken scratch J. tatted accessory K. crocheted adult apparel L. crocheted collars M. crocheted handkerchief edgings N. crocheted sweaters O. crocheted vests P. crocheted stole or scarf
3. Baby items A. crocheted afghan B. knitted afghan C. crocheted sweater set D. knitted sweater set E. baby clothes F. baby accessories G. baby toys H. other
4. Baby Quilts A. embroidery B. appliqué C. piecework D. fancy quilting E. painted F. candle wicking
G. machine stitch H. other
5. Centerpieces A. holiday B. birthday C. anniversary D. cornhusks E. wheat weaving F. other
6. Ceramics A. glaze B. gold & platinum C. luster D. stain E. other
7. China painting A. free hand B. study C. other
8. Dolls A. porcelain B. soft sculpture C. shape and drape D. living doll E. cornhusk F. crocheted G. dried apple H. nylon or fabric stuffed I. Bedroom J. doll clothes K. other
9. Floral arrangements A. commercial silk or silk-like B. dried material C. fabric D. handmade silks E. other
10. Holiday Ornaments A. beaded B. felt C. embroidered D. stained glass E. plastic glass F. wheat weaving
G. wooden H. counted cross stitch I. quilted J. commercial kit K. original design L. ceramic M. bread dough
N. tatted O. crocheted P. lace net embroidery Q. plastic Canvas R. other
11. Christmas articles A. beaded B. felt C. embroidered D. stained glass E. wheat weaving F. wooden G. counted cross stitch H. quilted J. original design K. ceramic L. tatted M. latch hook N. lace net embroidery O. plastic canvas P. figure less than 12 inches Q. other
12. Jewelry A. bead, stone, or sequin B. macramé C. safety pin D. other
13. Miniature Pictures (6x6 or smaller A. candle wicking B. crewel C. embroidery D. counted cross stitch
E. long stitch F. needle point G. Japanese bunka H. lace net embroidery I. tin punch J. calligraphy K. other
14. Pictures A. counted crewel B. stamped crewel C. quilted crewel D. original design-any method E. counted cross-stitch F. needle punch G. stamped embroidery H. original cross-stitch I. needlepoint J. long stitch
K. candle wicking L. tin punch M. other
15. Home accessories A. macramé plant hanger B. pot holders C. tea towels D. pillow cases E. crocheted doilies & edgings F. dresser sets and scarf G. place mats H. luncheon clothes I. needlepoint J. wheat weaving K. latch hook L. tole work M. rosemaling N. woven accessory O. tatted accessory P. crocheted articles Q. lace net embroidery
R. tin punch S. towels T. magnets U. stenciled V. calligraphy W. appliqués X. counted cross stitch
16. Pillows A. crocheted B. knitted C. chicken scratch D. stamped embroidery E. counted cross stitch
F. needlepoint (commercial G. Candle wicking H. Latch hook I. Trapunto J. patch work K. printed fabric
17. Plastic and Plastic Canvas A. plastic sun catcher B. plastic window C. refrigerator magnet D. wind twirlers-ready to hang E. 3 dimensional - animal, bird, or insect F. floral arrangement G. pencil holder H. tissue holder
I. napkin rings (4 mounted on cardboard J. doorstop K. bookmarkers L. potted plant holder M. coasters (4 - mounted or in a display box-plastic covered N. napkin holder O. Toy P. other
18. Stained Glass all design A. stained glass -commercial B. stained glass-original design C. sun catcher
D. lampshade (only shade judged E. candleholder F. other
19. Pottery A. coil B. free form C. wheel thrown D. other
20. Quilts A. appliquéd B. embroidered C. machine stitched D. pieced E. tied F. other
21. Rugs A. crocheted- commercial B. latch hook method C. original design-any D. braided E. loom F. other
22. Tablecloths & Bedspreads A. crocheted B. dimensional fabric appliqué C. stamped cross-stitch D. stamped embroidery E. cut work F. counted cross-stitch G. liquid embroidery H. candle wicking I. other
23. Wall Hanging A. crochet B. macramé C. quilted D. liquid embroidery E. cornhusk F. latch hook G. tin punch H. lace net embroidery I. weaving J. rope K. other
24. Woodworking A. carving B. jigsaw C. picture frames D. shelves E. novelty item F. other
25. Hoops A. stenciled B. decorated printed fabric C. quilted printed fabric D. lace net embroidery E. embroidery F. counted cross stitch G. crewel H. candle wicking I. other
26. Folk Art A. Amish B. egg painting C. other
27. Miscellaneous A. dough art B. crafts from trash C. leather craft D. miniature E. mirror craft F. mosaic
G. plaster craft H. quilting I. wire, string, and nail art J. baskets K. shell craft L. collage M. beaded - not jewelry N. craft sticks craft O. paper mache P. feather item Q. Puppet -hand or finger R. twig decoration S. Styrofoam item T. bird house or feeder U. seed picture V. spools - doll, animal, insect, or other W. clothespin - doll, animal, insect, or other X. pine cones - doll, animal, insect, or other Y. lace and/or ribbon item Z. other
28. Toys A. printed fabric-stuffed B. stuffed C. crocheted D. knitted E. wooden F. quiet books G. other
29. Scrapbooking Any theme - holidays, seasons, sports, family occasions, other. Bring a one or two page layout for judging.
30. Crafts For Handicapped & Nursing Homes A. needlepoint B. needle punch C. macramé D. toys-wooden
E. toys-stuffed F. quilts G. lap robes H. ceramics I. Afghans J. baby items K. embroidery work L. leather craft
M. dolls N. Latch hook O. pillows P. tin punch Q. other
Writing Workshop The Tenth annual Writing Workshop for Women and Young Women. Open to all NFWC Clubwomen and high school age young girls. This year on Tuesday, November 6, 2013 from 9 to 2:30 at the Seward Civic Center with presenters Professors Bernice Olivas and Kelly Meyer, both at University of Nebraska Lincoln. The cost is $10.00 per participant which includes your lunch and breaks. Why not come and spend some time to learn about writing. You must pre-register for this workshop.
Contact Nancy Galaway email@example.com
Contests for Youth |
Contests for Members |
Opportunities for Youth | Cllub History | In The News | HOME | WRITE US