Barbara KellyLinks Section
Coopertown Meeting House
The Cooper Town Meeting House has the typical appearance of small houses of worship built in rural Burlington County in the 18th and early 19th centuries. Built between 1802 and 1806, it is a 1-story structure containing a single room. It is constructed of brick laid in Flemish bond over a low field stone foundation. Each of the long facades features a central doorway with original double-leafed doors, each leaf having three raised panels. The doorways are flanked by windows with 12 panes in both upper and lower sash, hung with three-paneled shutters. The single room on the interior has a raised platform at one end and late 19th century vertical board wainscoting. Although the appearance of the Coopertown Meeting House is typical, its origin is not. Most religious buildings were erected to serve a particular denomination. The subscribers who raised the money for the Coopertown Meeting House decreed that it was to "be open and free to be used by all persons professing and believing in the Divinity of Jesus Christ". From its completion in 1806 until the 1830s, the Coopertown Meeting House flourished. At various times Methodists, Episcopalians, Baptists, and the Society of Friends worshiped there. Conflicts arose during the 1800's, over attempts to gain exclusive use, and the Methodist and Episcopalian congregations eventually withdrew and built their own churches in Beverly City. From 1880 to the 1930s it was the home of the Coopertown Union Sunday School. The Society of Friends also used it from 1901 until the 1930s. With the advent of the automobile, however, local residents were able to attend churches of their own denomination. __________________________________________________________________ Although the Cooper Town Meeting House Board of Trustees has continued to maintain the building, the Riverfront Historical Society raised funds and obtained grants in the late 1970's and early 1980's to repair damage to the building. The founding members of the society held many fund raising events to get the matching funds for the historical state grants. They replaced/repaired two walls, put on a new roof and framing,replaced cross beams, repaired and painted the inside of the building to restore it to it's 1920's . The restoration was complete in 1983-84.
Mission Statement |
Coopertown Meeting House |
2011 Holiday House tour article |
Scheduled Meetings |
Press Releases & Beverly Bee articles | Beverly's Nelson Fish | HOME | WRITE US