1st Vice President:
2nd Vice President:
Linda Baer Bigley
Terri CrabbsHelpful Links
Mission & History of the LWVTC
MISSION OF THE LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS
"The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy."
Carrie Chapman Catt founded the League of Women Voters in 1920 during the convention of the National American Woman Suffrage Association. The convention was held just six months before the 19th amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified, giving women the right to vote after a 72-year struggle that began at Seneca Falls in 1848.
The League began as a "mighty political experiment" designed to help 20 million women carry out their new responsibilities as voters. It encouraged them to use their new power to participate in shaping public policy. From the beginning, the League was an activist, grassroots organization whose leaders believed that citizens should play a critical role in advocacy. It was then, and is now, a nonpartisan organization. League founders believed that maintaining a nonpartisan stance would protect the fledgling organization from becoming mired in the party politics of the day. However, League members were encouraged to be political themselves, by educating citizens about, and lobbying for, government and social reform legislation.
This holds true today. The League is proud to be nonpartisan, neither supporting nor opposing candidates or political parties at any level of government, but always working on vital issues of concern to members and the public. The League has a long, rich history, that continues with each passing year.
In 1971, Representative Bella Abzug was able to get a Congressional Resolution passed that designated August 26th as Women's Equality Day to commemorate the passage of the 19th Amendment, the Woman Suffrage Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
The League of Women Voters of Warren was founded in 1940, sponsored by the Warren Conservative League. The first president was Mrs. W.O. Kaufman, who served from 1940 through 1942.
In 1977, our name and membership area was changed to The League of Women Voters of Trumbull County.
To protect the League of Women Voters nonpartisan policy, the President and Voter Service Chair of any League, be it local, state or national refrains from active party work during their term in office.
Mrs. W.O. Kaufman 1940 1942
Mrs. Clarence Klinger 1943 1946
Mrs. M.T. Knappenberger 1947 1948
Mrs. William Polay 1948 1950
Mrs. W.H. Fram 1951 1952
Mrs. B.E. Marquis (Mattie) 1957 1962
Mrs. Robert Morton (Janet) 1963 1964
Mrs. M.S. Terwillinger 1965 1966
Mrs. Fred George (Helen) 1967 1968
Mrs. Charles Curtiss 1968 1969
Mrs. Ralph Crank 1969 1970
Mrs. John Augenstein (Barbara) 1971 1972
Mrs. Joyce Masters 1972 1973
Mrs. Herbert Freeman (Mimi) 1973 1974
Mrs. Louise Lefkort 1974 1975
Mrs. Kay Brodbeck 1975 1976
Mrs. Ann Chadwick 1977 1978
Mrs. Dorothy Mettler 1979 1980
Mrs. Beverly Gartland 1981 - 1983
Mrs. Sophie Romack 1989 1990
Mrs. Fran Wilson 1991 1992
Mrs. Velia Baba 1993 1995
Mrs. Helene Seifert 1996 1997
Mrs. Christine Legow 1998 1999
Mrs. Louise Lefkort/Mrs. Fran Wilson 2000 2001
Mrs. Fran Wilson 2001 2007
Mrs. Terri Crabbs 2007 - 2011
Ms. Janice Hardman 2011 - 2013
Ms. Charlotte Meloni 2013-2017
Current President - Ms. Peggy Boyd
Mission & History of the LWVTC |
Nonpartisan Policy |
Local Programs/Positions |
Membership Information |
Women's Equality Day |
Archives - Local Voter/Voter Information Guide|
Contact Your Lawmakers | HOME | WRITE US