Patty KopachkoAdditional Links
Smock Coverlet: 2 Blue are left
This beautiful coverlet was commissioned by the Smock Historical Society and created by Mill Street Design of Bridgeport, PA. It is 100% cotton, two-layer, Jacquard woven in the USA, preshrunk, color fast, and machine washable. It is handsome and practical, measuring approximately 50" x 70" and fringed on all four sides.
The design captures the history and spirit of Smock during its period of significance (1884-1943) and depicts the landmarks of Smock including the Samuel Smock Homestead, Union Supply Company Store, Smock Train Station, Smock Honor Roll, Colonial #1 Mine, and the Coke Ovens to name a few.
Fayette County History Video
Local history comes alive in Fayette County; A Video History!
Fayette County:A Video History is an exciting, educational 98 minute video documentary that covers the fascinating local history of Fayette County, PA. This video is filled with rare photographs, historical reenactments, and interviews with local historians and Fayette County residents.
Mining History Books
Local author Lonnie Miller has written three books on significant events in local coal mining history. They are available at the craft shop or through our web site.
“CUMBERLAND MINE FIRE: June 4, 1987"
Cumberland Mine is located near Kirby, Greene County, PA. This was the place of a major underground mine fire that occurred on June 4, 1987 at about 12:30 pm and forced the evacuation of the mine on June 4 due to high methane concentrations. Liquid nitrogen was injected into boreholes to control the fire. Rescue teams went underground to build temporary seals in order to isolate the fire area. Later, permanent bulkheads were built to flood the fire area. Amazingly, production resumed in August. Included in the 112 page book are 60 photos taken on the surface during the fire and of all mine rescue teams. 11 maps. $15.00
“WARWICK COAL MINES”
This book, through photos and test, documents the history of the Warwick Mines 1, 2, 3, and 4 plus Penn Pitt and other mines in the area of Greensboro. 256 page book. Photos start in 1932 at Penn Pitt and include surface and underground equipment and facilities, and of first aid and mine rescue teams. $20.00
“ROBENA MINE PHOTO HISTORY”
A photo history of Robena from July 1942 to early 1984. Included in the 200 page book are 15+ pages of interviews and text on Robena Pre. Plant. Read the official Sept. 12, 1946 opening program. Includes remarks by Harry M. Moses, President of the H.C. Frick Coal and Coke Co. Meet Robena Moses for whom the mine was named. THIS BOOK IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE THROUGH SHS.
Tax and shipping is charged on books.
SAMUEL SMOCK |
SHS STORE | HOME | WRITE US