The days go by and we try so hard to protect our birds from the obvious hazards. For example drafts, harmful fumes, ceiling fans and so on. If nothing else we want them to be happy and healthy. What we don't realize is how much hidden lead poisons are in the world we share with them. Lead is such a problem because it can be absorbed into our birds in many ways, which makes it difficult to prevent.

     For example one way your bird can get infected is by ingesting the lead itself.  For instance by chewing on wooden baseboards or chairs that were painted with lead paint before 1978. Even if that paint has been painted over it does not eliminate the lead. Some paints are not a lead base but have lead base drying agents. Also eating plaster chips from cracked walls or ceilings.  Another way you bird can be affected is by inhaling fumes with lead particles in it, such as when walls or wood are being sanded down to refinish.

     The third example is by absorption through the mouth or feet. For example if your bird cage or toy are made of wire that has been galvanized. Just their feet and tongue touching the metal can be enough. Be extra careful of products made outside the USA. Many items we buy toys that have soldered wires which can always be a problem.

     Lead poisoning does not happen over night. The one good thing is there are many warning signs. Examples may be loss of appetite, weight loss, weakness, diarrhea, head tilt, loss of urine, blindness, or convulsions. If not caught in time death may result. If yell notice any of these signs it is wise to call a vet. If caught early enough there is treatment. Remember awareness is the best teacher and the more we know the happier our birds will be The following is a list of potential sources of lead.