*Area Congregations
*India Missions
*Kevin's Kolumn
*Leadership
*Growing Church
*Baptism
*Nursery School
*Obituaries
*Church History
*HOME

News

October 2017
SMTWTFS
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031

Click Here for Full Calendar

Members List:

Site Administrator:
Kenny Cottrell
Site Admistrator:
Joanna Kirk
Site Administrator:
Marsha Sparks
Minister:
Kevin Lough
Bulletin Director:
Dianne Tonkery
Secretary:
Dianne Tonkery
India Minister:
Harry Summers

Links Section

WV CHURCHES OF CHRIST

WV YOUTH CAMP

CHURCH LINKS

COC ARTICLES

COC DISASTER RELIEF

BIBLE GATEWAY

TEENS FOR CHRIST

YOUTH MINISTRY

BIBLE DRILL

BARRACKVILLE CHURCH

OAKHURST CHURCH

OAKWOOD ROAD CHURCH

MORGANTOWN CHURCH

PUMPKIN CENTER

VIRGINIA AVENUE

LITTLE HOCKING CHURCH

MYRTLE BEACH CHURCH

IN SEARCH TV

RELAY 4 LIFE

BLUEVILLE CHURCH OF CHRIST

MY SMART HANDS

GREAT BIBLE STUDY SITE

CHURCHES OF CHRIST

LAINGS CHURCH (OHIO)

RELAY FOR LIFE

BIBLE CLASS WORKSHOP

VIRAL HEARTS

BIBLE IN ONE PAGE

POTTER CHILDRENS' HOME

POTTER CHILDRENS HOME

CENTRAL COC

WHITE HALL NURSERY SCHOOL

CHURCH OF CHRIST SONGS

img
Church History
img
Click here to edit your pageClick here to go to your office


The History of the White Hall Church of Christ

The historical record of this congregation dates back to 1861 at which time a plot of ground was deeded in Benton's Ferry, Virginia, on the east side of the Tygart River; and a structure was erected about 1865 which served as a combination school and a church house. This structure also served as a meeting house for the Methodist and Baptist groups.

On September 1, 1923, a plot of ground was deeded by George W. and Sarah F. Hull to the trustees of the Church of Christ to serve as the location for a new building along Old U. S. Route 250 in what is now known as Hillview Addition. Fifteen to twenty members composed the congregation at this time and were known as the Benton's Ferry Church of Christ.

Because this property was condemned by the State of West Virginia for the construction of I-79, another plot of ground was purchased from Forest and Wilma Fancher in Whitehall on November 18, 1960, where a new building was constructed by Paden Construction Company beginning May 22, 1961, and occupied on October 8, 1961. There were forty-two active members at this time. This building was formally dedicated on October 22, 1961, with William H. Hull, a former member of the Benton's Ferry congregation, speaking. During the period of construction, the congregation met in the Whitehall Grade School buildings, and then in the old Nixon School building.

The name of the congregation was changed from Benton's Ferry to Whitehall Church of Christ shortly after Glen F. Wilt, Lawrence E. Wilt, E. Dale Huber, and Thomas H. Tonkery were appointed Elders on January 14, 1962 to help Elders T. M. Carpenter and Robert C. Tonkery. At this time James F. Dailey, Carl W. Thomas, Paul E. Carpenter, Sr., were appointed Deacons.

Between October 1961 and March 1967, the congregation increased to a total of eighty-seven members as a result of forty-six baptisms, eight restorations, and sixteen membership placements. A residence was constructed in 1962.

In 1969 the construction began on the educational wing. The annex was completed in 1973.

Another addition of classrooms, seating, and a restroom was added in 1999.

The following preachers have been located with us since the first preacher was hired in 1962: Denzil Sinsel 1962-1965, E. Russell King 1965-1971, David E. Parks 1972-1974, Everson Weekly 1975-1980, Steven L. Davis 1980-1983, Bryant F. Myers 1983-1985, Steve Smith 1986-1988, Joe Spivy 1988-1997, Yale Canfield 1997-1998, Harry Summers 1999-2004, and Kevin Lough began preaching for us in March 2004.

Currently, our approximate attendence is 150.

The Elders presently overseeing the work are: Gary Clayton, Bert Riley, Gerald Summers, and Eddie Swick. Those serving as Deacons are: Don DePriest, Dave Perkins, and Alan Riley.

================================================================

As of March 2006, we have Kevin Lough, as our Minister. The Elders are Gary Clayton, Bert Riley, Jerry Summers, and Eddie Swick. The Deacons are Don DePriest, Rick Earle, Dave Perkins, Randy Pheasant, Alan Riley, and Cliff Titchenell, Jr.

Jerin Summers is also our Youth Leader and Edwina Summers is our Nursery School Director.

Harry Summers is our India Missions Evangelist.

Joyce Riley is our Bulletin Director.

=================================================================

As of January 2017, we have Kevin Lough and Joel Boggess as our Ministers. The Elders are Gary Clayton, Darrell Conaway, Tim Jackson and Cliff Titchenell. The Deacons are Ed Carpenter, Phil Dotson, Rick Earle, Justin Kirk, Brad Klug, Steven Lough, Ray Robe, Paul Sparks and Jamen Summers.

Harry Summers is our India Missions Evangelist.

Our Secretary and Bulletin Director is Dianne Tonkery.

=================================================================


 
495 Visitors  Area Congregations | India Missions | Kevin's Kolumn | Leadership | Growing Church | Baptism
Nursery School | Obituaries | Church History | HOME  

TOP